Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Fashion 5 Honoree: Meredith Davis








I have known Meredith Davis for a very long time and this fashionista has always acted in nothing but kindness and sincerity. Her sophisticated yet sexy style has long been noticed by many and has helped her build a successful career, first in the fashion industry and now at Rare Magazine. Her enthusiasm shines as bright as her smile and her confidence and grace are match by few if any. This is Meredith Davis!( A few of Meredith's favorites: a former associate she now enjoys perusing through David Yurman; Davis picks up the latest in fashion from exclusive retailer Intermix; when ready to relax she enjoys dinner with friends at Austin's Perry's!)

WHO IS MEREDITH DAVIS?

Meredith grew up in Dallas, then moved to Austin to attend The University of Texas, where she received her degree in Public Relations and Business Foundations. While attending school, Meredith worked in the local fashion scene at St Thomas Boutique, where she helped with sales, purchasing inventory, and producing fashion shows for top designers Zac Posen, Dolce & Gabbana, Moschino, and Badgley Mischka. After college, Meredith continued used her extensive background in high-end retail and pursued a career with David Yurman as the Operations & Inventory Manager of the Austin store. After working in fashion for 10 years, Meredith realized that she wanted to be more actively involved in the Austin community, so she made the switch to publishing. Meredith is now the Director of Sales and Marketing for Rare Magazine, where she has the opportunity to immerse herself in the community and help support the growth of local business in Austin.

MYSTYLE-AUSTIN INTERVIEW WITH MEREDITH DAVIS!!!

MyStyle-Austin: How would you describe your personal style?

Meredith Davis: I would definitely describe my style as casual sophistication. O wear a lot of jeans and tanks tops. I always dress it up with accessories to make it more sophisticated. I am definitely laid back so a lot of the things that I wear are laid back and easy.

MSA: What sets your style apart from everyone else?

MD: There is always a sophisticated element to what I wear, like adding a scarf or a blazer. Then styling it up with shoes and accessories.

MSA: From who or from where do you draw your inspiration from?

MD: I really do not draw inspiration from anywhere. I wear what I like. What I am comfortable with and what fits my body well and makes me look good.

MSA: So when getting ready for an event, do you maintain the same laid-back mentality or do you spend time putting together a look?

MD: I definitely spend time putting together a look. It just depends on the event how funky or formal the event is. I always browse the latest fashion magazine and pick from that.

MSA: What do you think about style in Austin?

MD: Style in Austin is very boho chic! I definitely think that it could be dressier. There are a lot of hipsters here, which is great as well as a lot of hippies. That is not exactly me, I am definitely more cosmopolitan than that. It is very funky very different.

MSA: If you could take away or add one thing to Austin style, what would it be?

MD: I would definitely take away a lot of the hippie vibe around here. I would add more stiletto, a more cosmopolitan look. A little more downtown, urban look and feel to the city.

MSA: What is the one item of clothing that every woman needs?

MD: I would say two things. Everyone should have a pair of black stilettos, or black pumps. I personally prefer black patent pumps. You can wear them with everything. I would also say a really good blazer that fits you well because you can dress it up or down. You can pretty much wear it anywhere.

MSA: How does your style impact your work at the magazine?

MD: Ant time I go to a meeting I definitely have to dress the part. Rare is not a conservative magazine. It is a fun kind of funky company. I do dress up a little bit, but I try to make my outfits a little more interesting. As opposed to just a suit and shirt. We are a fun media company and I dress to that. If I am meeting with someone that I know I can dress a little more casual but if I have a meeting with an attorney then I dress more conservatively. I always try to dress the part.

MSA: Whose closet would you like to play in?

MD: Jessica Simpson. I think she has a really fun style. Paris Hilton simply due to shear volume. I am always keeping track of what the trendy starlets are wearing.

MSA: What is your dream red carpet look?

MD: Oh my God! He gown would definitely be by Herve Leger. I love his dresses. They are amazing! When it comes to dresses I am a little more classic. I like black or white, strapless, fitted. It is kind of my style. Christian Louboutin’s of course! Gotta show off those red soles! I would like a really high black peep toe pump, with a beautiful elegant black dress, and lots of diamonds.

MSA: What trends do you love right now?

MD: I am really into tights and boots. I pretty much wear that every day. I think it is so comfortable. I really like it.

MSA: What trend do you absolutely hate right now?

MD: What trend do I hate? The eighties trends. Any of the eighties looks. The bright colors and most of the eighties styles I am just not that into.

MSA: What is your personal favorite style moment?

MD: I am not to sure what event I wore it to but I have this little black Dolce and Gabbana dress with a bustier, it is my favorite party dress. I have a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes that I wear with it and it is just the hottest outfit ever!

MSA: What is your least favorite style moment?

MD: There is a dress that I have that has black and white diagonal stripes and it is very tight and fitted. It is asymmetrical and goes down to my shins. I don’ know what I was thinking.

MSA: What bag are you currently carrying?

MD: Right now I am carrying a bag by my friend Marni Cooper. It is suede and it was a gift. I love it! I am a huge bag person. My dream bag is a red patent leather Louis Vuitton.

MSA: Before Rare Magazine, you worked for various fashion companies. How did your experiences at those companies contribute to who you are today?

MD: I like the way the fashion makes you feel. You can dress to how you feel. Funky or casual whatever you put on can change your mood and I really like the style industry because of that. I loved working in fashion. Over time working for the companies that I have really honed my style. Just being around it enough, seeing all of the different designers and all of their beautiful collections have definitely one my style into who I am and what I wear today.

No comments:

Post a Comment