Friday, January 29, 2010

Fashion 5 Honoree: Anna Anami











To know Anna Anami is to know great style, elegance, and determination. Traits that have made her a success in business, fashion, and in life. She possesses a romantic philosophy that recalls a time when men and women were properly suited for a trip to the bank and chivalry was very much alive, yet maintains a modern sensibility. This is Anna Anami! (Inset, left: Anna Anami; Anami styles it high with Chanel; enjoys running town lake; enjoys sushi from Uchi.)

WHO IS ANNA ANAMI???

Anna was born in Tehran, Iran, and lived in Italy for one year prior to coming to the states. She has lived in Austin since 1984 and graduated with honors from the University of Texas where she majored in Biology and Psychology. Anami joined on with a prominent real estate company and was a top producer with the company and ranked Top 25 Realtors by the Austin Business Journal. In 2008, she and her business partner started The Boutique Real Estate. They have 5 agents underneath them and have had an amazing year and a half in business.

At age 13, Anna started modeling and was signed by Page Parkes in Houston and later Kim Dawson Agency in Dallas. She has modeled for Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's NY, Zac Posen(5+ years), Chanel, Tiffany's, Bergdorf Goodman, Douglas Hannant, Julian Gold, Escada, Saks Fifth Avenue, Dolce and Gabbana, Armani Cosmetics, Mark Bauer, Ralph Lauren, and is the face of Estilo Boutique and Calvin's Jewelry.

Anna enjoys sports (tennis, golf, running, yoga), the outdoors, philanthropy (Assistance League of Austin, St David's Hospital Volunteer, Zachary Scott Theater, Ballet Austin), spending time with family and friends, and travel (Africa, Greece, Miami, and New York are some of her favorites). Anna says that her mom is her best friend and in her down time, she loves to read at Barnes + Noble, spend time with friends, family, and boyfriend. Anna enjoys going to the movies, have game nights, and shopping.

MYSTYLE-AUSTIN INTERVIEW WITH ANNA ANAMI!!!

MyStyle-Austin: How would you describe your personal style?

Anna Anami: I would say understated, girly, playful, and I try not to take it too seriously, but definitely understated.

MSA: Understated in what way?

AA: As much as I admire a print or a wild color on a mannequin, unless it is placed on me by Neiman Marcus or a designer, I don’t choose it for myself. I admire it but I tend to go for pieces that are not too fussy. If it is tight, or too short, or constricting I know that I won’t wear it. There is not a neutral, gray, black, white or brown that I am not friends with. If it is user friendly for more than one occasion and it’s comfortable, I will wear it. If it has a little lace or a little girliness to it, that appeals to me too!

MSA: Do you have a uniform?

AA: Yes! You are looking at it. For the weekends I love ripped jeans, boots or flats, a tank top, and some sort of camisole or jacket. I love cashmere cardigans. During the week it’s work wear: skirts or pants, flats a blouse and a jacket. I would love to wear heels more often but in my line of work you have to be able to get into and out of a car and I am showing properties all day and it’s just not practical.

MSA: What sets your style apart from everyone else?

AA: Well, if I am set apart! Seriously, what sets me apart hopefully, is that when you look at me, hopefully you don’t say she tried to hard. I try to look as polished as I can look without looking like I tried too hard.

MSA: Who or what inspires your personal style?

AA: When I talk about something being more, loose than form fitting, or a neutral palette, what comes to mind is Calvin Klein runway. The hair and make-up are not too fussy and the clothes although girly, are not a production. I draw inspiration from that. Minimalism.

MSA: Who is your style icon?

AA: New York is my style icon! She, is my style icon! If you walk down the street in New York City, you might see a girl walking with simple hair, light make-up, skinny jeans, a ribbed white tank top, flats and a jacket. She's carrying a fabulous bag, like Marc Jacobs. Simple and chic! Also, if you take care of yourself and you have bright eyes and clear skin, a bright smile and great posture, whatever you are wearing, you are my style icon.

MSA: In your line of work, how does your style impact your business?

AA: Well I work with a lot of couples, and so I’m not interested in, nor would it behoove me to wear anything constricting or uncomfortable. My work wear is very conservative and covered up. On the weekend is when my personality comes out more. I think in my former life, I was a ballerina, because I’m drawn to anything tulle or puffy, and ballet slippers.

MSA: What do you think about style in Austin?

AA: I like the style here. It’s eclectic, it’s fun, and it’s relaxed. Austin doesn’t try to be anything but Austin and I appreciate that. We have our own identity here and I think it’s great.

MSA: If you could add one thing to Austin style, what would it be?

AA: When I am in New York I love to get up early and watching the men and woman on
Wall Street because they look so polished. Each one of them looks like a Goldman-Sachs investment banker no matter what their job is. God bless the large clothing chain stores but we are not all shaped like boxes. I don’t know what mannequin they are using to cut their clothing. So I would love it if Austin embraced chic Italian suits a little bit more and drew more attention to their business wear.

MSA: If you could change one thing from Austin style, what would it be?

AA: Flashdance leggings! It’s not lost on me that we live in Texas. I have been here since 84’. But sometimes I feel that the look on a girl is a little bit too much, a little too pageant. If we could say goodbye to fake nails, tons of make-up and big hair, or outfits where the dress matches the earrings, that matches the eye shadow, that matches the shoe, it’s a little old school. If we could pull back a little bit, put down the hair spray, put down the eye shadow. Less is more.

MSA: What trends do you love right now?

AA: I love skinny jeans and ankle booties. Chanel handbags are not a trend, I think they are forever and I love and adore them. I also love big sunglasses and chunky bracelets.

MSA: What trends do you dislike?

AA: I don’t like eighties anything. I don’t like grunge.

MSA: What is the one item of clothing that every woman needs?

AA: A Chanel handbag never goes out of style. You can pass it down to your children’s children’s children. Like these bracelets I never take off, they are from Iran that my Mom gave to me and that her grandma gave to her. A piece of your mother’s jewelry is always something nice to wear.

MSA: Whose closet would you love to play in?

AA: I would love to shop in Georgina Chapman’s(designer for Marchesa) closet. I love and adore her. She has the whole ballerina, flirty, girly, thing going on.

MSA: What is your favorite personal style moment?

AA: A few seasons ago, Zac Posen had a fashion show after party during fashion week. He opened up the closet and said 'pick your dress.' It was this pink silk gown, with a sweetheart neckline that fit me to a tee. I had the shoes and the handbag to go with it and it was just my idea of heaven. I have worked with Zac for five years. I do fashion shows and market week.

MSA: What is your least favorite personal style moment?

AA: 1980 to 1989! I'll just say this. If I don’t want to be somewhere, my outfit usually reflects it. I won’t put any thought or time into it and I will probably look like hell.

MSA: What is your dream red carpet look?

AA: A long evening gown by Marchesa. Hair up and back like a ballerina. Jewelry by Chopard and strappy shoes by whomever!

MSA: What is the one piece of style advice that you would like to share with every woman?

AA: Less is more. You are pretty enough without all of that make-up. Let’s strive for a more streamlined, understated, look!

No comments:

Post a Comment