Thursday, January 28, 2010

Fashion 5 Honoree: Stephanie Coultress-O'Neill









Stephanie Coulterss-O'Neill is a woman after my own heart. She is a powerful force of energy that is as recognizable as her laugh. She has a sincere appreciation for fashion and style that is matched only by her love for friends and family. Stephanie has brought a glamorous life sensibility to Austin Fashion which she herself personifies. This is Stephanie Cultress-O'Neill! (Inset,left: Stephanie Coultress-O'Neill; the spot for the perfect Mexican martini, Ranch 616; CRU, O'Neill's favorite place to relax with friends, and Jo's for a caffeinated turbo recharge.)

WHO IS STEPHANIE COULTRESS-O'NEILL???

Stephanie Coultress, a former therapist, took her love for people, fashion and events and opened Estilo in 2005. Having lived in Austin for over 20 years, she wanted to create a clothing store that is versatile and timeless, and still offers personal styling for each client. Estilo was one of the pioneers on Second Street and has quickly established a strong following.

Having been nationally recognized and been the recipient of several awards, from “Best Men’s and Women’s clothing” to most recently in 2009, “Austin’s Best Fashion Boutique” , Estilo has created a “one-stop” shop for local Austinites and tourists. A favorite of Estilo’s clients is the champagne and shopping parties. Here, a client is able to browse the latest styles with their friends, and receive personal styling consulting, while sipping on champagne.

Stephanie is also known for her strong philanthropic fundraising and continual support of the nonprofit community, through donations and events at Estilo. With its gallery presentation of clothing, Estilo is the perfect venue for any fundraising event.

While staying true to her Austin roots, Stephanie allows Austinites to explore their own style and find that perfect outfit, by providing them with a variety of hand-picked designers from around the world.

MYSTYLE-AUSTIN INTERVIEW WITH STEPHANIE COULTRESS-O'NEILL.

MyStyle-Austin: How would you describe your personal style?

Stephanie Coultress-O'Neill: Effortlessly chic! I like to look effortlessly put together. I think it needs to be comfortable but still noticeable. My favorite outfit, my uniform is what I call it, is skinny jeans tall boots and a cute top. That is what I tend to wear day to day sometime I throw a scarf on for the day and at night I might add a great necklace. My style definitely has sexy appeal but never like I am trying to look sexy.

MSA: What would you say sets your style apart from others?

SC-ON: I definitely think that my clothing sets me apart, but my style in general kind of goes with my personality. I love to talk to people when I walk into a room and when I am wearing the right, outfit it always makes me feel confident in doing so. What sets me apart is I always try to look well put together. From the jewelry, to the bag, to the shoes, every little detail is considered but I make it look effortless.

MSA: As a retailer, how do you decide on what lines to carry? How do you decide what is going to be big for the next season?

SC-ON: My style and my buys have changed over the years. When I first opened I tried to be everything to everybody, I bought a little bi of everything. I have learned who my clients are, I have learned who Austin is and I have learned who is willing to explore their personal style and who is not. When I am at market in New York or LA, I tend to be draw to things that I know can be worn and still stand out. Everything I sell in here I have a three compliment guarantee, so what I buy needs to be a show- stopper but not over the top runway couture.

MSA:What is the one item of clothing that every woman needs?

SC-ON: There are a couple of fundamentals, so for me to give you one is tough. Let me give you five: a leather motorcycle jacket it can take your day dress on an evening out. Every woman needs a pair of tall black boots. A great embellished or multi layered gold chain that can be worn with a tank. Obvious a black dress is key because it is so versatile and black is always so sexy. Every woman needs a wardrobe piece that serves as a pop of color, an item that can be worn as an attention getter. So out of all of those I would say that every woman needs a sexy black dress. It is the go to piece when you’re in a fashion jam. It is an easy thing to dress up and dress down and get noticed.

MSA: What trends do you love right now?

SC-ON: To be honest I try to stay away from trends. Although my favorite item that has made a comeback recently during the seventies, eighties, resurgence, is the jumpsuit. I think it is such a sexy piece for women. It shows off so much without showing off too much. A black sexy jumpsuit is just so bold and such a great piece.

MSA: What trends do you dislike right now?

SC-ON: I hate the baggy tunic shirts that don’t show off anything. I hate that they make you loose your sex appeal. You can belt it to try to make it sexy but I think with all of the fabric, sometimes a woman’s figure can get lost in it.

MSA: Tell me what you think about Austin style?

SC-ON: I think that Austinites are unique in that they are willing to explore their own style. They don’t want to go to far to either extreme. They like being chic and reasonable. They like wearable pieces that have character.

MSA: If you could add one thing to Austin style what would it be?

SC-ON: I think Austin is sometimes a little too casual, and I just want them to know that it is OK to dress up. It is ok go out in a party dress and heels and feel beautiful on any given night.

MSA: If you could take one thing away from Austin style what would it be?

SC-ON: I would take away Austin’s need to stay casual. For a man going to a cocktail party, it is nice to have on a blazer and trouser, and for a woman it is great to show off your cocktail dresses. You can wear your jeans and a fun top on a different night.

MSA: What has been your favorite personal style moment?

SC-ON: My wedding day was truly everything that I ever imagined. From my make-up, to my hair and my dress even the colors of the wedding, I felt like I was in a movie that day. I felt gorgeous, I felt confident, and I felt like I was expressing exactly who I am without holding back.

MSA: What is your least favorite personal style moment?

SC-ON: The day after a party! I am usually a little tired and that is when my uniform comes in. Whenever I am seen in public without any make-up is my least favorite style moment!

MSA: If you could play in anyone’s closet, who’s would it be?

SC-ON: Well Rachel Zoe has my dream job but I don’t know if I would choose her. Her style is so vintage inspired and particular that I would be interested in seeing what she has collected. I love Rihanna’s style. Maybe Victoria Beckham, I love her style but I don’t know if I love her. I would say Rihanna because she really has a good collection of different pieces. I have seen her be sexy and sophisticated all the way to funky and edgy and that is what I like about my style. I can go to every extreme. I can be your rock’n’roll or I can be your classic, chic, elegant girl.

MSA: Describe tome your dream red carpet look!

SC-ON: I would love to wear Cavalli Couture. His fabrics are insane and his silhouette’s are just incredible. I am always attracted to his pieces. Harry Winston or Bulgari to lend me million’s of dollars in diamonds and Christian Louboutin’s or Jimmy Choo’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment